2018.12.04 Read this announcement from Attorney General Josh Stein entitled “I WILL FIGHT TO PROTECT HEALTHCARE IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA”.
Below you will find links from various sources specifically about the proposed HCA/Mission Acquisition, announced on March 21, 2018. Articles are organized alphabetically by source, then by date.
The entire Asset Purchase Agreement, including the Schedules, Exhibits, and other documents can be downloaded here.
Of particular interest to those of us in Mitchell County and Yancey County are the sections listed below which can be downloaded for review. They describe the organization of the Hospital Advisory Board, the Operations of the Hospitals, and the Services of the hospitals.
A coalition of WNC citizens and organizations interested in the Mission/HCA sale has written a position paper on the transaction which was delivered to Special Deputy Attorney General Jennifer Harrod on Oct. 26, 2018. You can download and read it here.
The original announcement of the plan to sell to HCA is available here: Mission Health Announcement
On August 31, 2018, Mission Health’s Board of Directors announced they have entered into a definitive agreement for HCA to acquire Mission Health. Read the press release here: 2018.08.31 Mission Health Press Release_APA Signing_FINAL
Mission Health set up a website devoted to the topic of the acquisition, Mission Health Forward . The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section of that site has a lot of answers about the transaction. If the question you’re interested in is not addressed, you can submit your own question on the FAQ page.
On July 16, 2018, Mission Health System announced the creation of Dogwood Health Trust, the planned successor foundation from the potential sale of Mission Health to HCA. Read the press release here.
The new foundation plans to address core Social Determinants of Health (SDOHs) and well-being in Western North Carolina. A new interactive map tool is available to analyze the which areas of the state are affected by various SDOHs, and to what extent. The website can be found here. A description of how to use it is located on the Resources page of this website.
On August 23, 2018, Dogwood Health Trust announced additions to its initial Board of Directors. Read the press release at this link: 2018.08.23 Dogwood-Health-Trust_Board-of-Directors-Announcement.
On August 20, 2018, Mission Health’s Board of Directors announced that if and when the Mission Health and HCA Healthcare (HCA) transaction is closed, each Entity Legacy Foundation will receive a distribution of $15M to improve the health and well being of their community. Read the full press release at this link: Mission Health Press Release_Rural Health Investments_FINAL.
On August 3, 2018, the non-profit Communities for Older Adult Health and SEARCH co-hosted the WNC Conversion Health Foundation Forum on the campus of UNC-A in Asheville. Read an article about it here.
( For articles on Rural Healthcare and the closing of L&D at BRRH, please visit here )
American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
Appalachian Regional Commission
Asheville Citizen Times
- New – 2019.01.13 – There are two opinion pieces at this link:
- Wary of hearing “Mission knows best”? Tell Josh Stein now – Victoria Hicks
- Mission is sending wrong people to do good work – Carmen Ramos-Kennedy, Risa Larsen
- New – 2019.01.07 $1.5B Price Tag for Mission – John Boyle
- New – 2019.01.06 – There is an opinion piece and a letter to the editor at this link:
- “Mission Trust isn’t being built by ‘your neighbors’ ” – Bob Scott, Mayor of Franklin
- “The real owners of Mission Health” – David Westling
- New – 2019.01.05 – Story was too easy on Mission – Mary Alm
- New – 2019.01.01 Anger, Hope, and Concern: NC Attorney General receives over 180 letters on Mission/HCA deal – Dillon Davis
- New – This link goes to the Citizen Time’s website, and may require a subscription. The link takes you to the same article as published in the newspaper on Jan 1, but the on-line version gives you access to the 144-page document of submissions made to the AG’s office about the Mission/HCA sale.
- 2018.12.30 Could quality of care change? – Mark Barrett
- 2018.12.30 A complex truth of Mission, Dogwood futures – Janice Brumit
- 2018.12.22 There are two letters to the editor at this link.:
- Prioritize prudence over profit – Peter Kent
- HCA deal will set us up for success – Andrew Riddle
- 2018.12.19 Dogwood board transparency still lacking – ACT Editorial Board
- 2018.12.18 Questions remain on Dogwood funding – Scott Rogers
- 2018.12.14 Dogwood Health Trust should be independent of Mission Health – Opinion – Deborah Miles
- 2018.12.05 – NC Attorney General wants to see more protections for medical services in Mission/HCA deal – Mark Barrett
- 2018.12.03 Highland, Cashiers face community challenges – Bill McGoun
- 2018.12.02 – Dogwood foundation should represent the people who built Mission – the community – Carol Spainhour, Patrick Taylor, Barrett Hawks, Bob Scott
- 2018.12.02 – Why small towns will win big with Mission deal – Steve Little, Mayor of Marion
- 2018.11.25 Residents want more protection for rural hospitals – Mark Barrett
- 2018.11.25 Racial disparities in health are real. The Dogwood Board should reflect that – Kathey Avery
- 2018.11.25 Ambulances making preventive house calls – Nora Doyle-Burr
- 2018.11.24 Dogwood board doesn’t represent community needs – Roberta Madden
- 2018.11.18 Dogwood Health Trust should be independent of Mission Health – Deborah Miles
- 2018.11.18 Dogwood Trust Board should embrace the future – Monroe Gilmour
- 2018.11.11 Dogwood Trust board has enough diversity – John W. Garrett, MD; Anne Ponder; Thomas A Maher; Robby L. Russell
- 2018.11.10 Dogwood Board lacks diverse voices – Natasha Adwaters
- 2018.10.26 Dogwood Health Trust board lacks the diversity WNC deserves – Carmen Ramos-Kennedy
- 2018.10.23 Mission-HCA deal requires ‘intense position,’ scrutiny, expert says – Dillon Davis
- 2018.10.17 Local officials say residents still have questions on Mission deal, need to hear from HCA – Mark Barrett
- 2018.09.30 Where is the money going? – Dillon Davis and Mark Barrett
- 2018.09.30 How Mission sale will create Dogwood Health Trust – Staff Report
- 2018.09.01 Mission Health agrees to $1.5 billion sale to HCA – Mark Barrett
- 2018.08.24 Mission releases Dogwood Health Trust board names – Dillon Davis and Mark Barrett
- 2018.08.12 For-Profit Mission – Efficient or Ruthless (1A) – Mark Barrett
- 2018.08.12 For-Profit Mission – Efficient or Ruthless (6A)- Mark Barrett
- 2018.08.12 For-Profit Mission – Efficient or Ruthless (12A)- Mark Barrett
- 2018.08.03 How Mission Health’s successor foundation could impact Asheville – Dillon Davis
- 2018.07.18 Who would get the money from Mission Health sale? – John Boyle
- 2018.07.17 Mission Health forms foundation for HCA deal proceeds – Dillon Davis
- 2018.07.15 Mission-HCA deal may hurt rural hospitals – Mark Barrett
- 2018.07.15 Mission Board made a complex – but right – call – John Ball, MD and John Garrett, MD
- 2018.07.11 Will Mission-HCA deal speed closure of rural WNC hospitals? – Mark Barrett
- 2018.06.13 Would a for-profit Mission be better for WNC? – Dillon Davis
- 2018.05.31 Opinion – Mission made a tough call, but it was the only one
- 2018.05.26 Clarifying Paulus’ Remarks – Victoria Hicks
- 2018.05.20 Rural Hospitals have most at stake if Mission goes for-profit – Victoria Hicks
- 2018.04.21 Former Mission CEO Talks HCA Sale
- 2018.03.31 Boyle column: Mission may be surprised by HCA deal and newfound devotion to the stock market
- 2018.03.30 Five Things to Know about Msn/HCA Healthcare Deal
- 2018.03.27 Gov. Cooper Speaks on the Mission Deal
- 2018.03.24 EDITORIAL: Who will profit from Mission’s impending merger? – The Editorial Board
Asheville Free Media
- Click on the “Play October 25 Show” at this link
Blue Ridge Public Radio
Carolina Public Press
Facebook Live broadcasts
- 2018.07.30 What Joining HCA Means for Our Rural Communities – The link below the photograph will take you to the video of a Facebook Live event where representatives of Mission Health System discuss their recent visit to rural HCA hospitals in Central Tennessee. Participants are:
- Kathy Guyette, MSN, RN, NEA-BC, Senior Vice President, Patient Care Services & President Regional Member Hospitals, Mission Health,
- Rebecca W. Carter, MSN, RN, FACHE, President & Chief Nursing Officer, Blue Ridge Regional Hospital
- Brian Barrow, MD, Chief of Staff, Transylvania Regional Hospital.
2018.07.30 What Joining HCA Means for Our Rural Communities
- 2018.07.24 Mission Health & HCA: Process & Progress – The video link below the photograph will take you to a one-hour video of a Facebook Live event where representatives of Mission Health System discuss the latest on their plans to join HCA Healthcare; you can also see questions that the viewers posted during the event. Some of Mission’s board members and team members recently visited HCA hospitals and successor foundations in Austin, Texas. Participants were Bill Hathaway, MD (Chief Medical Officer), John Ball, MD (Chair of Mission Board), Jill Hoggard Green (Chief Operating Officer, Mission Health and President, Mission Hospital), Janice Brumit (Inaugural Chair of Dogwood Health Trust), and Karen Olsen (Chief Nursing Officer).
2018.07.24 Mission Health & HCA: Process and Progress
- 2018.06.12 Transforming Health and Wellness in Our Community – The video link below the photograph will take you to a one hour and 2 minute video of a Mission Health leadership team discussing the foundation that will be created from the proceeds of the sale to HCA, which they call the “successor foundation”. Participants from left to right below are Ron Paulus (President and CEO), Susan Mims, MD, MPH (VP and Chief of Pediatrics), Sonya Greck, MSN, RN (Senior Vice President), and Lakesha Day (Director of Diversity and Inclusion)
- 2018.05.08 Answering your questions about Mission Health and HCA – The video link below the photograph is a one hour and 15 minute video of Mission leadership answering questions about the acquisition from the public via a Facebook Live broadcast. Participants from left to right below are Dr. John Garret (Vice Chair of Mission Health Board of Directors), KarenVernon, Dr. Ron Paulus (President and CEO), and Dr. John Ball (Chair of the Mission Health Board of Directors).
Haywood County, NC – sale to for-profit Duke LifePoint and resulting Foundation
HIStalk – Healthcare IT News & Opinion
Kansas City Star
Macon County News
Mitchell News Journal
Modern Healthcare – Modern Healthcare is a healthcare business news, research, and data media outlet which publishes an informative e-newsletter with articles pertaining to the Mission/HCA acquisition. You can create a free subscription to the newsletter here.
Below are some links to articles, but if you haven’t subscribed you probably won’t be able to access them.
New – 2018.12.26 – After bitter closure, rural Texas hospital defies the norm and reopens
2018.11.21 California DOJ greenlights Catholic Health Initiatives – Dignity merger, with conditions – Tara Bannow (note, this is not a link, you must have a subscription, but it’s free)
With a free subscription to Modern Healthcare you can read the article above about the merger of these two non-profits, but more importantly, about the conditions that were put on the merger. The merger’s review had a particularly rigorous review process including public meetings and written comments. The conditions also include maintenance of emergency and women’s healthcare services for 10 years, and the California Justice Department will be closely monitoring compliance with the conditions.
National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy – NCRP
News & Observer
New York Times
North Carolina Health News
Savannah, GA – Chatham County Hospital’s acquisition by HCA
Smoky Mountain News
Student Loan Planner
The article below is about the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program which is a tax-free forgiveness program for medical student loans after 10 years of service at a non-profit hospital.
WLOS – News 13 (Asheville TV station)
Yancey Common Times Journal