Below you will find links from various sources specifically about the proposed HCA/Mission Acquisition, announced on March 21, 2018. Articles are organized alphabetically by source, then by date.
The original announcement is available here: Mission Health Announcement
Additionally, Mission Health has set up a website devoted to the topic of the acquisition, Mission Health Forward . The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section of that site has a lot of answers about the transaction. If the question you’re interested in is not addressed, you can submit your own question on the FAQ page.
On July 16, 2018, Mission Health System announced the creation of Dogwood Health Trust, the planned successor foundation from the potential sale of Mission Health to HCA. Read the press release here.
The new foundation plans to address core Social Determinants of Health (SDOHs) and well-being in Western North Carolina. A new interactive map tool is available to analyze the which areas of the state are affected by various SDOHs, and to what extent. The website can be found here. A description of how to use it is located on the Resources page of this website.
NEW – On August 3, 2018, the non-profit Communities for Older Adult Health and SEARCH co-hosted the WNC Conversion Health Foundation Forum on the campus of UNC-A in Asheville. Read an article about it here.
( For articles on Rural Healthcare and the closing of L&D at BRRH, please visit here )
Appalachian Regional Commission
Asheville Citizen Times
Facebook Live broadcasts
- 2018.07.30 What Joining HCA Means for Our Rural Communities – The link below the photograph will take you to the video of a Facebook Live event where representatives of Mission Health System discuss their recent visit to rural HCA hospitals in Central Tennessee. Participants are:
- Kathy Guyette, MSN, RN, NEA-BC, Senior Vice President, Patient Care Services & President Regional Member Hospitals, Mission Health,
- Rebecca W. Carter, MSN, RN, FACHE, President & Chief Nursing Officer, Blue Ridge Regional Hospital
- Brian Barrow, MD, Chief of Staff, Transylvania Regional Hospital.
2018.07.30 What Joining HCA Means for Our Rural Communities
- 2018.07.24 Mission Health & HCA: Process & Progress – The video link below the photograph will take you to a one-hour video of a Facebook Live event where representatives of Mission Health System discuss the latest on their plans to join HCA Healthcare; you can also see questions that the viewers posted during the event. Some of Mission’s board members and team members recently visited HCA hospitals and successor foundations in Austin, Texas. Participants were Bill Hathaway, MD (Chief Medical Officer), John Ball, MD (Chair of Mission Board), Jill Hoggard Green (Chief Operating Officer, Mission Health and President, Mission Hospital), Janice Brumit (Inaugural Chair of Dogwood Health Trust), and Karen Olsen (Chief Nursing Officer).
2018.07.24 Mission Health & HCA: Process and Progress
- 2018.06.12 Transforming Health and Wellness in Our Community – The video link below the photograph will take you to a one hour and 2 minute video of a Mission Health leadership team discussing the foundation that will be created from the proceeds of the sale to HCA, which they call the “successor foundation”. Participants from left to right below are Ron Paulus (President and CEO), Susan Mims, MD, MPH (VP and Chief of Pediatrics), Sonya Greck, MSN, RN (Senior Vice President), and Lakesha Day (Director of Diversity and Inclusion)
- 2018.05.08 Answering your questions about Mission Health and HCA – The video link below the photograph is a one hour and 15 minute video of Mission leadership answering questions about the acquisition from the public via a Facebook Live broadcast. Participants from left to right below are Dr. John Garret (Vice Chair of Mission Health Board of Directors), KarenVernon, Dr. Ron Paulus (President and CEO), and Dr. John Ball (Chair of the Mission Health Board of Directors).
Haywood County, NC – sale to for-profit Duke LifePoint and resulting Foundation
Kansas City Star
Macon County News
Mitchell News Journal
National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy – NCRP
New York Times
North Carolina Health News
Savannah, GA – Chatham County Hospital’s acquisition by HCA
WLOS – News 13 (Asheville’s TV station)