Below you will find links from various sources specifically about the proposed HCA/Mission Acquisition, announced on March 21, 2018. Articles are organized alphabetically by source, then by date.
The entire Asset Purchase Agreement, including the Schedules, Exhibits, and other documents can be downloaded here.
Of particular interest to those of us in Mitchell County and Yancey County are the sections listed below which can be downloaded for review. They describe the organization of the Hospital Advisory Board, the Operations of the Hospitals, and the Services of the hospitals.
- Mission Health – HCA Healthcare Inc Asset Purchase Agreement-Aug-30-2018 Pages 104-107
- Schedule 7.13(a) and Schedule 7.13(b)
The original announcement of the plan to sell to HCA is available here: Mission Health Announcement
On August 31, 2018, Mission Health’s Board of Directors announced they have entered into a definitive agreement for HCA to acquire Mission Health. Read the press release here: 2018.08.31 Mission Health Press Release_APA Signing_FINAL
Mission Health set up a website devoted to the topic of the acquisition, Mission Health Forward . The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section of that site has a lot of answers about the transaction. If the question you’re interested in is not addressed, you can submit your own question on the FAQ page.
On July 16, 2018, Mission Health System announced the creation of Dogwood Health Trust, the planned successor foundation from the potential sale of Mission Health to HCA. Read the press release here.
The new foundation plans to address core Social Determinants of Health (SDOHs) and well-being in Western North Carolina. A new interactive map tool is available to analyze the which areas of the state are affected by various SDOHs, and to what extent. The website can be found here. A description of how to use it is located on the Resources page of this website.
On August 23, 2018, Dogwood Health Trust announced additions to its initial Board of Directors. Read the press release at this link: 2018.08.23 Dogwood-Health-Trust_Board-of-Directors-Announcement.
On August 20, 2018, Mission Health’s Board of Directors announced that if and when the Mission Health and HCA Healthcare (HCA) transaction is closed, each Entity Legacy Foundation will receive a distribution of $15M to improve the health and well being of their community. Read the full press release at this link: Mission Health Press Release_Rural Health Investments_FINAL.
On August 3, 2018, the non-profit Communities for Older Adult Health and SEARCH co-hosted the WNC Conversion Health Foundation Forum on the campus of UNC-A in Asheville. Read an article about it here.
Appalachian Regional Commission
- 2018.07.24 New Research and Website Highlight Health in Appalachia – Wendy Wasserman (ARC) and Bonnie Hackbarth (Foundation for a Healthy Kentucky)
Asheville Citizen Times
- NEW – 2018.10.17 Local officials say residents still have questions on Mission deal, need to hear from HCA – Mark Barrett
- 2018.09.30 Where is the money going? – Dillon Davis and Mark Barrett
- 2018.09.30 How Mission sale will create Dogwood Health Trust – Staff Report
- 2018.09.01 Mission Health agrees to $1.5 billion sale to HCA – Mark Barrett
- 2018.08.24 Mission releases Dogwood Health Trust board names – Dillon Davis and Mark Barrett
- 2018.08.12 For-Profit Mission – Efficient or Ruthless (1A) – Mark Barrett
- 2018.08.12 For-Profit Mission – Efficient or Ruthless (6A)- Mark Barrett
- 2018.08.12 For-Profit Mission – Efficient or Ruthless (12A)- Mark Barrett
- 2018.08.03 How Mission Health’s successor foundation could impact Asheville – Dillon Davis
- 2018.07.18 Who would get the money from Mission Health sale? – John Boyle
- 2018.07.17 Mission Health forms foundation for HCA deal proceeds – Dillon Davis
- 2018.07.15 Mission-HCA deal may hurt rural hospitals – Mark Barrett
- 2018.07.15 Mission Board made a complex – but right – call – John Ball, MD and John Garrett, MD
- 2018.07.11 Will Mission-HCA deal speed closure of rural WNC hospitals? – Mark Barrett
- 2018.06.13 Would a for-profit Mission be better for WNC? – Dillon Davis
- 2018.05.31 Opinion – Mission made a tough call, but it was the only one
- 2018.05.26 Clarifying Paulus’ Remarks – Victoria Hicks
- 2018.05.20 Rural Hospitals have most at stake if Mission goes for-profit – Victoria Hicks
- 2018.04.21 Former Mission CEO Talks HCA Sale
- 2018.03.31 Boyle column: Mission may be surprised by HCA deal and newfound devotion to the stock market
- 2018.03.30 Five Things to Know about Msn/HCA Healthcare Deal
- 2018.03.27 Gov. Cooper Speaks on the Mission Deal
- 2018.03.24 EDITORIAL: Who will profit from Mission’s impending merger? – The Editorial Board
- 2018.08.22 Mission is full speed ahead on HCA sale, board chair says – David Mildenberg
- 2018.07.26 More For-Profit Hospitals looking at NC – David Mildenberg
- 2018.05.03 Mission’s Sale to HCA Deserves Clear Explanation, TN Hospital CEO Alan Levine says
- 2015.07.15 Statewide: Healthy Foundations – Kathy Blake
Carolina Public Press
Facebook Live broadcasts
- 2018.07.30 What Joining HCA Means for Our Rural Communities – The link below the photograph will take you to the video of a Facebook Live event where representatives of Mission Health System discuss their recent visit to rural HCA hospitals in Central Tennessee. Participants are:
- Kathy Guyette, MSN, RN, NEA-BC, Senior Vice President, Patient Care Services & President Regional Member Hospitals, Mission Health,
- Rebecca W. Carter, MSN, RN, FACHE, President & Chief Nursing Officer, Blue Ridge Regional Hospital
- Brian Barrow, MD, Chief of Staff, Transylvania Regional Hospital.
- 2018.07.24 Mission Health & HCA: Process & Progress – The video link below the photograph will take you to a one-hour video of a Facebook Live event where representatives of Mission Health System discuss the latest on their plans to join HCA Healthcare; you can also see questions that the viewers posted during the event. Some of Mission’s board members and team members recently visited HCA hospitals and successor foundations in Austin, Texas. Participants were Bill Hathaway, MD (Chief Medical Officer), John Ball, MD (Chair of Mission Board), Jill Hoggard Green (Chief Operating Officer, Mission Health and President, Mission Hospital), Janice Brumit (Inaugural Chair of Dogwood Health Trust), and Karen Olsen (Chief Nursing Officer).
- 2018.06.12 Transforming Health and Wellness in Our Community – The video link below the photograph will take you to a one hour and 2 minute video of a Mission Health leadership team discussing the foundation that will be created from the proceeds of the sale to HCA, which they call the “successor foundation”. Participants from left to right below are Ron Paulus (President and CEO), Susan Mims, MD, MPH (VP and Chief of Pediatrics), Sonya Greck, MSN, RN (Senior Vice President), and Lakesha Day (Director of Diversity and Inclusion)
- 2018.05.08 Answering your questions about Mission Health and HCA – The video link below the photograph is a one hour and 15 minute video of Mission leadership answering questions about the acquisition from the public via a Facebook Live broadcast. Participants from left to right below are Dr. John Garret (Vice Chair of Mission Health Board of Directors), KarenVernon, Dr. Ron Paulus (President and CEO), and Dr. John Ball (Chair of the Mission Health Board of Directors).
Haywood County, NC – sale to for-profit Duke LifePoint and resulting Foundation
Kansas City Star
Macon County News
- 2018.05.21 Accurate information is Critical for Healthcare Decisions
- 2018.04.25 Mission CEO discusses buyout with AMC Board, town leaders, and media
Mitchell News Journal
- 2018.09.19 Voice your opinion about Mission sale- Susan Larson
- 2018.09.05 Board members need scrutinized – Ronald Rollett, MD
- 2018.09.05 Mission Health signs agreement with HCA
- 2018.07.25 Mission shouldn’t shape foundation – Victoria Hicks
- 2018.07.04 Save Our Hospital Online Petition
- 2018.07.04 A Hot Topic – Save Our Hospital Petition
- 2018.05.30. Hospital sale brings big risks, big opportunity
Modern Healthcare – Modern Healthcare is a healthcare business news, research, and data media outlet which publishes an informative e-newsletter with articles pertaining to the Mission/HCA acquisition. You can subscribe to the newsletter here.
- NEW 2018.10.04 Orgs call for Dogwood Health board to include women and non-whites – Virginia Daffron
- 2018.07.16 Mission Health creates Dogwood Health Trust for proceeds of potential sale
- 2018.06.08 Mission Health sale could create massive community non-profit
- 2018.05.04 Mission Health sale, policing top conversation at CIBO breakfast meeting
- 2018.04.23 Angel Medical Center Receives Certificate of Need to build replacement hospital
National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy – NCRP
- 2018.07.19 Conversion Foundations Can Do More to Advance Advocacy and Structural Change – Allen Smart
New York Times
- 2018.07.17 It’s 4 A.M. The Baby’s Coming. But the Hospital Is 100 Miles Away
- 2018.05.31 A More Egalitarian Hospital Culture is Better for Everyone
North Carolina Health News
- 2018.09.08 Rural Hospital has Patients Headed to Walmart For Their Care – Taylor Knopf
- 2018.08.31 Dogwood Health Trust Will Face Challenges Serving Diverse WNC Counties – Mark Tosczak
- 2018.08.31 Mission and HCA Agree to Terms of Potential Sale – Mark Tosczak
- 2018.07.26 Pending Mission Sale to HCA Raising Questions and Concerns in Western NC – Mark Tosczak
- 2018.07.25 How Did Mission’s Non-Profit Leaders Choose to Dance with the Huge For-Profit HCA – Mark Tosczak
Savannah, GA – Chatham County Hospital’s acquisition by HCA
- 2018.01.19 Hospital Authority to Memorial – Release documents to Savannah Morning News
- 2018.02.18 Chatham County Hospital Authority hold annual meeting, focus on indigent care
- 2018.02.01 HCA Completes $456 Million Purchase of Memorial Health
- 2017.09.17 Georgia’s attorney general accepts Memorial Health sale proposal
Smokey Mountain News
- NEW – 2018.10.17 Board likes Angel’s acquisition – Angel Board Chair Jane Kimsey and Board Members
- 2018.09.19 We need to know more about HCA’s plans – Mayor Bob Scott, Franklin
- 2018.04.16 Pending Hospital Move is Cause for Sincere Concern
- 2018.04.02 Mission Joining HCA is Not Great News
- 2018.05.13 A Near Universal Health Care Plan that Wouldn’t Break the Bank
- 2018.04.29 There’s a Genuine Solution to our Health-Care Problem
WLOS – News 13 (Asheville TV station)
- 2018.08.22 NC Attorney General weighs in on proposed sale of Mission to for-profit HCA Healthcare
- 2018.05.16 The HCA Effect: A look inside Savannah hospital acquired by for-profit corporation
Yancey Common Times Journal
- 2018.09.05 Proposed gift from Mission Health – Jonathan B. Ward, Jr., Ph.D
- 2018.09.05 Mission Health signs definitive agreement with HCA